Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The lesser of two evils...

I had an inspirational Political Science professor in college that did so much to mold my political identity. He used to always say that choosing the lesser of two evils was no choice and not the right thing to do. That idea stuck with me. So back in 2000 who did I vote for? Nader. I thought my reasons were valid. I wanted a third party to get some attention. I knew he couldn't possibly win, but if he would have captured just 10% of the popular vote, his party would have gotten federally matched campaign funds during the next election and we could have had another choice, another voice being heard in the political arena. Now as I look back on that I wonder.... if all those Nader votes had of been Gore votes where would this country be right now? Would we have ended up in Iraq for no reason? Would we have lost all our credibility on the international stage? Would we be bankrupt? I knew things were going to be bad with Bush. I remember the two things I kept telling people were that gas prices would go up and that he would not be able to handle foreign affairs. Boy did I hit the nail on the head with that one. I never dreamed we would end up where we are today though. The absence of real leadership can really take the ship down fast. And now we are there again. I keep hearing so many people say they aren't going to vote because they don't like Barrack or McCain. I can understand where they are coming from. I don't consider myself a republican or a Democrat. But I tend to lean toward a little more liberal views on some things. But I can tell you this much, I'll be choosing the lesser of two evils this time! I honestly feel McCain will take us farther down the path Bush started us on. Middle class America can't take much more. It may be too late for us already. So Barrack will be getting my vote. I just wish I had more choices!

No comments: